What is a CCTV drain survey?
A CCTV drain survey is the most cost-effective way to examine the condition of a drain, sewer or pipeline in detail without having to dig it up. A CCTV drain survey is performed using state-of-the-art camera and software technology, which allows us to identify and locate any leaks, blockages or other issues that require a repair. Once we’ve completed the survey, we’ll then create a comprehensive CCTV survey report that details any issues that have been discovered, identifying the source of the problem as well as the potential fix.
We can complete CCTV drain surveys on any type of property, whether it’s residential, commercial or industrial, as well as infrastructure such as roads, rail and utilities.
What will a survey find?
A camera drain survey can alert you to a number of issues that could potentially cause serious problems with your drains. Without a survey, faults can take several years to manifest, by which point it could be too late to avoid an expensive fix. As CCTV surveys are quick and non-invasive, they are the most cost-effective way to detect problems.
Here are some of the issues a CCTV survey can identify:
- Collapsed and cracked drains
- Displaced joints
- Animal intrusion and vermin infestation
- Tree root ingress
- Corrosion and wear and tear
- The causes and extent of leaks/bursts in pipes
- Scale build up
- Evidence of displacement or poor installation
How do I know if I need a drain survey?
The first sign of a problem with your drains can be slow flow rates, blockages or bad smells. But sometimes there may be no sign at all that there are serious issues at play. If you want to maintain and prolong the condition of your drains, you need to know exactly what’s going on underground. Common signs of a drainage problem include:
- Slow-flowing water
- Low water pressure from your taps
- Drain flooding
- Frozen drain pipes
- Gurgling noises coming from the drains, toilet and plug holes
- Foul odours
- A waterlogged lawn or plants growing near the sewer line
Pre- and post-purchase drain surveys
We offer pre- and post-purchase drain surveys to help to protect your investment when buying a new home. If any issues are identified, you can renegotiate the cost of the property to reflect the work that needs to be done and make sure you’re not left out of pocket.
Homebuyer and homeowner drain surveys
When buying a new home, it’s only natural that you’ll want to sign on the dotted line as quickly as you can. However, it’s important you carry out all the necessary checks first as an unidentified problem with the drains could potentially cost thousands of pounds to fix.
A pre-purchase drain survey, also known as a homebuyers’ survey, checks for any damage, blockages or other issues that may not be identified by a visual inspection. As well as providing peace of mind, mortgage providers are increasingly asking that CCTV surveys are performed before the funds are released. That could make the completion of a homebuyers’ drain survey an essential condition of the purchase.
Landlord & tenant surveys for rental properties
As a landlord, it’s your responsibility to make sure the property’s drains, sewers, waste pipes and rainwater pipes are in good condition when the property is let. A pre-tenancy CCTV drain survey helps you meet your legal obligations as a landlord and protects your investment in the property.
That’s not the only benefit of a pre-tenancy CCTV survey. If damage to drains, sewers or pipes does occur, it can be very difficult to reach an agreement about who should pay for the repair. If a tenant blocks or damages the drains through misuse, they are responsible for getting them fixed. Completing a pre-tenancy drain survey before the tenancy begins can prevent disputes and reduce your costs.
Camera drain surveys can be undertaken as part of a building project. That includes all types of development, from simple extensions to new builds. CCTV surveys are used to establish the location of sewer pipes and check their condition before the building work begins.
Build over surveys
A build over survey is a survey that must take place whenever building work takes place above or within three metres of a lateral drain or a water authority sewage pipe. The purpose of the survey is to establish that the drains and pipes are structurally sound, working correctly and located where they should be. Once the survey has been completed, we provide you with a full structural drainage survey with a DVD and a report of our findings that you can use to get local authority consent for your build.
What equipment is used?
When you arrange a CCTV survey, our engineers will arrive at your property in a van with all the tools and specialist CCTV equipment they need to check the condition of your drains. That includes:
- Waterproof cameras – Our state-of-the-art cameras can operate in flowing water and tight spaces to provide engineers with a clear view of areas that would otherwise be impossible to see.
- Access rods – We use flexible rods to push the cameras through your drainage system and even navigate tight turns.
- Crawlers – Remote crawlers can be used to give our engineers quick visual access to drains and sewer systems. Their added mobility makes them capable of accessing damaged or obstructed pipes.
- Sonar units – We use sonar surveys to gain an insight into the condition of filled pipes which cameras may not be able to access.
When you first contact us, we’ll discuss your requirements and any problems you might have before arranging a convenient time for our engineers to carry out the survey.
- The first step is to set up the equipment and gain access to your drains.
- An engineer will then insert the most suitable CCTV camera for your drain type.
- The camera will provide real-time footage of your drains which is fed back to the engineer above ground. They will be able to identify any issues, damage or blockages that exist.
- The engineer will create a drainage survey report which will detail their findings along with any recommendations for cleaning or repair work. Any issues can be resolved immediately or at a later date depending on your requirements.
Your drain survey report
You will receive a comprehensive drain survey report once the survey is complete. We use WinCan software to collect information and identify and grade the faults, all of which will be included in the written drain report. We provide you with a copy of the camera recording and a location plan, along with our recommendations for any repairs or cleaning that needs to be carried out. There will also be an itemised quote for any repair work that needs to be done.
3D drain surveys
A 3D drain survey is another service offered by Anglia Drain Doctor. Adding 3D scanning technology to our service allows our engineers to accurately map the location, dimensions and height of every inspection chamber to within 1cm. This data is used to create a unique reference for each chamber that can be plotted on Ordnance Survey map tiles.
Once we’ve plotted the chambers, we can then complete a full survey of all the interlinking pipes and drains to diagnose issues such as cracks, leaks, blockages, tree roots, ground movement and subsidence quickly and accurately before they become a serious problem.
Book a CCTV drain survey today
At Anglia Drain Doctor, we provide comprehensive, cost-effective CCTV drain surveys for residential and commercial customers. Please get in touch to discuss your requirements with our team or book your camera drain survey today.